Rugs can be super expensive, so when I am in the market for a new rug (which I am for the lake house) I look at Overstock first. They carry rugs at a discount and I’ve found several for my home including these.
…and my bedroom.
A few simple lessons that I’ve learned in rug shopping are these:
- Measure your space. Chances are you will need something larger than what you think. Most large rooms will need a 9×12. Yes, more expensive, but you don’t want to end up with something too tiny because it will alter the look of the entire room. Go big.
- Don’t get sucked into any carpets with crazy patterns. They take up so much air in a room and you may tire of them more easily. I would suggest max two colors in a rug.
- Wool or any rug that says “loop holes” will pull. If you have animals and namely dogs and specifically labs, I know from experience that they will dig their little nails into a wool rug and it will pull. You can cut these pulls, but eventually it will start to look worn.
- The material matters. I remember ordering a beautiful rug from Crate and Barrel when I was first married. I was so thrilled that it was so cheap! Turns out you get what you pay for. I picked it up and it was a very thin material, not the lush rug that I had wanted. It was very disappointing. Make sure you look at what the rug is made of. Cotton rugs will be thin and may move so you will need a rug pad. Indoor/Outdoor rug are inexpensive, but they have courser feel. Research what you are getting.
- Make sure you have the option of retuning if it just does not look right.
After doing my homework and looking at Pinterest, I found that I was gravitating towards a casual style for my lake dining space. I wanted some blue and thought that a large stripe would make the room feel welcoming and lake-like. This is the one I went with. Cotton worked for me because, again, it was not meant to be a fussy room and I didn’t want a nice rug under a table where kids were going to be eating. I invested in a good rug pad so that it would not slide around, which is essential.
It was delivered recently and I love it. It’s perfect for this room.