Let’s take a quick peek into our kitchen. I realize that this is a big one. The kitchen requires more money, more time, more imagination to change and update.
What little things could we do to improve our kitchens if we cannot renovate right now?
1. Ikea is such a great option. When DH and I renovated literally every room in our first home the kitchen was easily changed thanks to Ikea. Their kitchen products were a great alternative to expensive brands and are meant to be installed by the home owner. My favorite item was the farmhouse sink that we purchased and installed. You never would have known it was from Ikea. It looked very high-end.
2. Paint. You know I will always push painting. If you hate your dated cabinets, please consider painting. You can use any furniture paint, including Chalk Paint. You will transform the room. Go lighter. White is always a great option as it goes with most countertops.
3. Furniture. Think about replacing any dated tables and stools. There are some amazing sales going on right now. I have had such luck at Overstock with dining and kitchen chairs.
Can’t do any of the above? You can still organize & accessorize.
1. Declutter. Nothing looks more chaotic an messy than a bunch of stuff on your countertops. Even if you need everything (as we do in our kitchens) you can still put things away after every use. Clean off everything on your countertops. Make piles of what you hate, what you need and what you can store.
2. Storage. Pretty, graduated canisters always work to store you K Cups, sugar, flour, etc. Hide every little electronic appliance that you can. There is not need to leave out a blender all year round. Hide it.
3. Decor. Think about buying a beautiful fruit bowl or basket that you can leave in the middle of your countertop. Fill it with fruit or at Christmas fill with pinecones. In the fall you can fill with pumpkins. You will get so much use from it. I have a huge urn in the middle of my island that I continually play with and never move.
Simple fixes will really help you to feel like you are living well. Even just organizing your space and your things will bring about a lighter feel. I always sa I can think better when my house is organized.