“Can you successfully distress latex paint? Your post makes it seem as if you should be blogging on a different site because this site is about chalk paint and distressing…”
Wow. I didn’t realize I had hit such a hot button with many people when I decided to use and post on an alternative to Chalk Paint. It seems that I need to clarify a few things that maybe did not come across in my last 2 posts. Bear with me as I try not to get emotional.
- I love Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and I use it exclusively for my clients.
- I am a curious person and as such I like to educate myself on new products. I think this is what a wise person does.
- I did not like the texture of Rust-Oleum paint. I do like the Topcoat.
- I will try new paints and products out in the future so if this is confusing or intolerable, then please read another blog.
- Sure, you can use latex and distress it! Why the hell not? Go try it.
- I would rather my readers find a passion and love for transforming older pieces using whatever paint that works for them from a monetary perspective and a taste perspective. I am not the paint police and I do not want to be.
I come from a place of scarcity where buying new furniture was never a luxury we had, but home and my space meant more to me than anything because of the feeling of safety and beauty that I could achieve with my two hands. I love that I stumbled upon ASCP seven years ago, but there is not just one way to produce a look – my look. I think thinking inside the box is limiting. What you may not know, or maybe I will just say it again, is that I get HUNDREDS of emails a year telling me that buying Chalk Paint is too expensive. I have empathy for this position. I hear that many of you think it all evens out in the wash with the number of coats and if that’s what works for your budget and time, then good for you.
Damn, I hate defending myself, but being quieter is worse for me. So, to the people that want to put me in a box and label me as this or that, I won’t stay in those nice and neat walls. I’d rather speak to those that want to expand their homes and lives in whatever way they can. It’s a bigger picture that I care about.
PS – To those that share my perspective and enjoy being here with me, I am sorry for the rant.