Some achievements just come from necessity, don’t they? I found these amazing, vintage blue shutters. I knew I wanted them and I also knew that they were not “my” blue hue.
I got them home and DH helped me hang them in my family room.
No easy task, but he typically does not get many easy ones from his Dear Wifey 🙂 Don’t worry about him, though, he’s always up for a challenge.
Love them, but see what I mean about the blue. Beautiful, but sky blue is not really what I relate to. I lived with them for about a week and stared & stared at them. Then I knew I had to do something to change them. Patience is not my virtue. So instead of waiting for DH to get home and take them off the walls again (which I knew he would not be thrilled about), I decided to alter them where they were. I know, I know.
Soooo, once upon a time I had read on Annie Sloan’s website something about white-washing or diluting your paint. I really had never tried it and honestly I wasn’t terribly excited to try it. I didn’t want to ruin the blue on the shutters or take of any of that chippy paint – that was the best part. I just wanted to alter the color a bit. So, I experimented.
I went out to my garage and poured a bit of my Duck Egg Blue and a bit of old white. I went back into the kitchen and added some water and stirred. It was a very, very watery consistency which is what I was trying to acheive. Again, I didn’t want to comepletely cover the sky blue, I just wanted a bit more green in it similar to my beloved Duck Egg color.
I threw a tarp over the couch and set to work. Keep in mind that I really would not try this at home unless you are in an outdoor space.
I brushed on the thinned-out paint. It was not thick so all the beautiful crackled paint stayed as it was. It was instead like a tinted stain treatment that I was doing. The color started to change and dried quickly. Yipee! I applied one more coat for a deeper color, cleaned up the dripped paint on the floor and removed the tarp. Voila! Be aware that since it is a watery consistency that the paint is much harder to control and will drip!
I’m super happy with the results. I plan on doing a tutorial once I find a piece that suits the technique.