One of my favorite gift ideas listed in my Favorite Things Post found here was a Breville Juicer. I know juicers were the rage like 20 years ago and then we all got into the Vitamix, but the juicer is back! Here is the one I recommended. (Still on sale at William Sonoma!)
Why is the juicer back? Because of it’s best friend – celery. Again, I cannot take credit for discovering the benefits of celery juice, but when I find something that is life changing I want everyone to know about it! The Medical Medium is the guy that has put celery juice on the map.
Here is a list of benefits from the Medical Medium’s site found here.
Why Drink Celery Juice?
Many of the benefits of celery juice are listed on the website, but some of them include
- Critical for healing chronic acid reflux
- Fights autoimmune disease, including Hashimoto’s, Lyme disease, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and every other autoimmune condition
- Incredible for constipation and all digestive issues
- Helps restore the adrenals
- Contains mineral salts that are critical for the central nervous system
- Helpful for depression, anxiety, brain fog, confusion, bipolar disorder, memory loss, Alzheimer’s disease, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), poor focus and concentration
- Important for skin conditions such as acne, eczema and psoriasis
- Flushes toxins and pathogenic byproduct from the body
- Helps stabilize blood pressure
- Helps eradicate strep bacteria
- Fights Epstein-Barr and Shingles viruses
- Brings down toxic liver heat
- The ultimate gallbladder rehabilitator
- Eliminates mucus
- Restores bile production and potency
- Celery’s natural sodium draws toxic salts out of the body
- Powerful weapon against SIBO
- Inhibits viruses, bacteria, and fungus
- Enhances the immune system
- Helps repair damaged ligaments & bones
- Highly anti-inflammatory
- Powerful way to alkalize the gut
- Celery juice raises hydrochloric acid
- Supports and calms the central nervous system
- Helps the liver produce bile
- And many more!
At the risk of being too vulnerable (not possible, right guys?!) I struggle with many things on this list. I have Hashimoto’s disease, PCOS, a hiatal hernia, GERD, depression, anxiety, PTSD – all of which I take medicine for. And it does a job on my body for sure. There’s little you can do to control aspects of your body when you are on lots of meds, but this makes me hopeful. And so I carry on juicing! Here is how it works. Get yourself 5 bunches of celery for the work week – they won’t last in your fridge more than that without getting moldy. Cut off the hard bottom and the skim off the tops.
Put celery through your juicer, a few stalks at a time. The recommended amount of juice you want each morning is 16 oz. You want to drink it on an empty stomach and use pure celery. Don’t add anything to it! It’s good and you will develop a taste for it.
This is the fiber that is left over and what you do not want to consume. This fiber is why you want to juice and not just puree your celery. The healing properties are in the pure juice that come from separating the fiber from the celery.